Monday, September 13, 2010

The Heart of Seoul

So in addition to sitting in on Jing's classes this weekend, I also spent a few days in Seoul. Erin set Dave and I up with a bed at the Yellow Submarine hostel in Hongdae for the weekend and it couldn't have been a better location. I think I've mentioned Hongdae before, but it's like the chic, though not too poshy, college atmosphere that I'm always looking to spend a few days in. You can find anything from cheap bars to blues cafes, not to mention a random little area that had an unusual amount of Spanish (Spain, actually, not latin America) restaurants and at least one Korean with an identity crises sporting a Videla mustache. But then again, maybe he was just showing off the fact that he was the 1 in 100 Korean man that could actually grow one; we'll never know.Basically, every time I head to Seoul I love it a little bit more. Whatever you're in the mood for, whatever atmosphere, food, or smell in the air that strikes your fancy--just hop on the subway and 1-2 dollars get's you exactly what you're looking for. With that in mind, I had my first truly American food at an Aussie bar in Itaewon upon first arriving. Though I haven't really had an special craving the Western grub, the blackened chicken sandwich, fries and beer really hit the spot.

I'll just jump right to it now and tell you the highlight of the weekend: Foreigner day at FC Seoul, the local professional soccer team. Let me just point out that a) they play in the Seoul World Cup Stadium (pictures to come shortly) so you know its a good venue and b) foreigner day means 10,000 won (~8.50) gets you a free vuvuzela, hotdog and beer (2, actually), and--though it wasn't exactly advertised--all the Makkoli you can drink. The stadium was decidedly
not packed with people (maybe 1/10 full) but the aforementioned perks along with the extremely loud and excited home
section made for an excellent time. Let's just say I found new and wonderful uses for the vuvuzela (videos available in due course) and just meeting some Buckeye fans donning the scarlet and grey jersey halfway across the world really made the day. This was actually my first time to a professional soccer game, and I was thoroughly impressed. To be honest, I think the Korean cheerleaders put the Dallas Cowgirls to shame--but they can certainly get away with a lot. I hear the Korean national team is playing Japan next month...though hard to come by I'm definitely gonna have to try to get ahold of those tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment