Thursday, November 11, 2010

Seoul City Birthday

One nice thing about living in a foreign country is you can always rationalize a protracted birthday. Let me explain. Korea's now 14 hours ahead of Ohio, which means my birthday starts 14 hours ahead over here. There's no reason not to celebrate it once it starts, and why quit at 12 pm here when my b-day is just getting started back home. I mean, that's technically when the sacred day is, since I was born under EST, but let's not obsess over the details. Just assume that my b-day lasts for 48 hours; only mine.


Regardless, this past weekend was a blast. Got to see Andrea on here first trip across the Yellow Sea and met another Athens native in the process. It's always satisfying talking about OU Halloween and students throwing other students out of windows when your half way across the world in a basement hookah bar in the 2nd* biggest city in the world. I must say though, Seoul does hookah well. The beer is a bit lacking, as you've heard me gripe, but they make up for it with solid shisha and sultry dancing groups. Anyway, the rest of the weekend did not disappoint either. Shout out to Jee for hooking us up with the pubs and chinese food. Last week I didn't know what the oldest Chinese restaurant in Korea was like, but I can sleep well now with my taste buds satisfied. Chinese food is a funny beast over here. The thing is I know it's different than the American version, I just don't know why.
Less sugar, sauces aren't as heavy I guess. I guess I just don't feel like a puddle of grease when I'm done eating. In other news though, I was walking around Hongdae on my way to a club and low and behold there's a massive black man strolling down alley with a throng of Koreans and rubbernecking and snapping pictures. , I don't mean large, or heavy, or tall--maybe gargantuan is a bit closer. Well, this 6' 5" behemoth turns out to be MMA heavyweight Bob Sapp doing who-the-hell-knows-what over here in Korea. I'm not one for celebrities and all the hubbub, but I do respect a physical spectacle now and again--so I took my picture and rambled off a happier man.


On one of the more educational moments over the weekend I took a tour around Yonsei University in Seoul--one of the "prestigious" three in Korea and apparently the prettiest. I might actually make a hobby out of college tours--I guess I'm somehow driven to college architecture and scenery; It doesn't hurt that I went to the prettiest* college in American (thanks Forbes). I mean, they put gobs of money into these places, so I guess the pseudo-advertising does its jobs. I didn't hurt that Seoul was right in the thick of Fall color over the weekend. The reds and yellows were striking. If I could cryogenically freeze myself, I would plan to wake up once a year for about doing weeks this time of year. Between the crisp northern breeze, the sharp blue skies and the blazing foliage--I could be a happy man just sitting back and taking it all in.


You wouldn't know it in Mokpo, but apparently the G20 Summit has got Seoul bumpin' right now. Just as I was leaving, the city was ramping up with concerts and festivals and anything you can imagine to make Korea look like another "city of the future" and ready to play with the big dogs. I guess riots are a big problem though, as with any G20, G8, or G6 1/2 Summit. I found out first hand when I was interrogated in the subway for five minutes--questioned about everything down to my skivvies. "Please show me your back Sir. No! Don't open your bag." All I have a chance to say is "what do you want me to do?" As I get: "what's in the bag? What are you doing here." Ironically, they threw so many questions at me that I didn't actually have time to answer a single one of them. I guess they got their satisfaction, and I found out what it's like to be racially profiled. Well, I'm not complaining, just stating. Keep in mind Korea is something like 1.5% foreign, a fraction of that white--so I can't really blame them when I stand out like an Asian at a Nascar race.

Well, that's enough for now, in a couple days I'm headed to Daejeon to get my spa on. Apparently the place is famous for some sort of pine needle rejuvenation. I mean, who doesn't like a solid coniferous exfoliation now and again?

No comments:

Post a Comment