Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Final Hurrah

Sorry for the delay since the last post, but I finally have something exciting to note: Korean Language Class = Over. I mean, I like having gone to class, having learned the material, but sitting there for four hours every day and actually learning gets a bit arduous. However, today we had out 3 hour final composed of reading, writing, andconversational Korean. I feel pretty good about it, I knew all the questions except for one--apparently I don't, or at least didn't, know how to say "I am hungry" in Korean. I should know this, seriously. This is like the first thing I should have learned after coming here. Oh well, the rest of the test was great. I successfully maneuvered my way through a conversation with my Korean teacher covering the likes of: where are you from?, what didyou do yesterday?, oh! how was that, etc, etc. I weaved in couple future tenses and random verbiage to make it look like I studied, and all was well. Ialso had to work through a "scenario" with another student, buying specific groceries in the supermarket. Ending up with this scenario was just luck, though, because I have been playing around with this story line for several weeks: I mean, the learning curve for buying Kimbap and beer whipped me into shape in no time. Needless to say, we'll all be headed out to celebrate tonight...errr...to re-enact the scenarios from this morning.

Last weekend I made it over theCheongju to see Inception and grab some good, non-cafeteria food. If you haven't seen the movie, do it--refreshingly novel plot line, good acting, and something I might call the Matrix of this decade. Also, if you haven't been to a Korean restaurant lately, do it. I discovered two more things I love: seafood stews and the 녹차 라태. The former you can get in pretty much any Korean, Korean-American, Korean-Korean restaurant of note. But only here in Korea can you geta hot bowl of fresh octopus, clams, mussels, noodles, abalone and various vegetables for $5--and Cheongju isn't even on the coast (but then again, Korea is pretty small, so that's like saying Portland is a landlocked city). The second love is just the green tea latte. I admit, this isn't really that special--but it's damn delicious.

I thought I'd also include a few random pictures from this last week (thanks Olenka), including my depiction on what Ohio is famous for: Corn, of course. That's also the Ipad in action, so I better get used to that stance for the coming year. The other mystery photos are from class and Kimbap Chonju (the bibimbap special). Also, this weekend--the LAST or orientation--should be a blast, so expect plenty of pictures. On Friday we head to the ambassador's residence for a pool part and *Gasp* American food. Then we're off to the DMZ, some free time in Seoul, and finally a "graduation" ceremony. Oh the times they are a-changin'

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know Ohio is famous for corn. I thought we were famous for Lebron James and the Cuyahoga catching on fire... twice.

    ReplyDelete