Saturday, August 21, 2010

Getting Drunk With Your (Host) Mom

OK, so much has happened in the past couple days that I don't even know where to begin. First
of all, drinking with your host family and their friends is a great way to lubricate things. I mean,everything is great...but it's still hard living with a family that speaks a completely foreign language, acts in different ways, has different customs, and yet wants to make you feel like part of the family. That last part is crucial, because the Chaong family (spelling? I only know theHangul) has been so welcoming and accommodating that I only want to study Korean so I can express my gratitude to them.

But let me back up just a little bit. Thursday was out "D-Day" if you will, in which all the ETAs were shoved in front of their respective school representatives, given a meet-and-greet luncheon and then shipped off to who-the-hell-knows-where to enjoy the rest of the year. Ok, so that description didn't come off so well, but it's pretty apt nonetheless. Basically Iate lunch with my two co-teachers and vice-principle, and then shipped off for Mokpo (about a 4 hour
drive, say Athens to Cleveland with a couple stops). This really wasn't so bad, since one of myco-teachers speaks pretty good English. Well, I get to Mokpo around 7 and apparently I'mtreated to their favorite restaurant = a ton of raw fish, fish stew, sauces, noodle dishes, et---pretty much heaven. I wish I could explain more of the details, but that would take a book, so let's just saythat they awkward moment of getting to know the people that you're going to live live for the next year was made much easier by the fact that they're extremely kind, accommodating, and actually a lot of fun. On that last note, I'll mention that my host mom is a fireball; she loves to get out, travel, exercise (apparently running a 10k soon, which if you know Korean women, is fairly unusual), and get out and do things.

In any case, dinner was fantastic--pretty much exactly what I was looking for in Mokpo and I haven't been disappointed since. Also, the next day (...Friday?) was pretty much a whirlwind. We managed to go shopping, tour my school (both my host-parents work there by the way),
open a bank account, and get a new cell phone. I wouldn't normally do half those things in
America...where I can speak the language and actually ask questions like "how many minutes are in included in the contract." To summarize the afternoon, just imagine the most ridiculous
and complicated game of charades known to man, with a little Pictionary mixed in for good measure. I was so swamped by the proceedings that I think I actually fell asleep in front of the bank worker...in my defense we were there for over an hour while she figured out how to open an account with my A-3 (diplomatic/military) visa. Regardless, I was actually asleep by by 9:30 P.M. or so.

That's probably for good measure though, since I had to get up and go fishing with the fam at 4:30. Yes, fishing. I went fishing in the East Chinese Sea for 6 hours today (see pictures). It was great, except I got a horrendous tan-line mid-way through my forearm (If the bicep tan line is a farmer's tan, what do you call this?...sounds like a bad joke, but I actually don't know the answer). Basically the brother in law (literally) caught like 30 fish and I didn't catch a damn thing. It was hot, sweaty, and monotonous....but I wouldn't have it any other way. If nothing
else, it was an adventure because every damn thing he pulled out of the ocean does't exist back home, much of which looked like it came straight out of a story book---you remember that long flying thing from the Neverending Story, yea, there's a fish that looks just like that...and he caught it, twice. Anyway, to bring the past few days full circle, I went out with my host family and some long-lost-friends to that same (raw fish) restaurant tonight. Of course the old army buddy (of the host dad) likes to drink, but the dad doesn't... so long story short I go shot for shot with the host mom and some guy I still don't know his name; He's from Chungjoo If you care to know, and I'm invited to their home so let's make it a party. Basically, my host mom loves to have a good time (and the dad, not so much, though he's an extremely nice and loving guy) so I guess she has a party buddy. Anyway, it was a blast listing to their (translated) conversations and piecing together the cultural idiosyncrasies (see: throwing around 10,000 won bills to the kids before you leave, just ask me if you're interested). I won't waste any more of your time, but to give you an another idea: just now the host mom just walks out in her pajamas to thaw out some cuttlefish (I honestly can't name all the weird shit I've eaten now), mildly startled when she sees me getting a glass of water...she then asks me if I wan't any more beer. I'm OK for the night but, of course, what goes better with cuttlefish-thawing than beer? So she helps herself. Should be an interesting year. I'll leave you on that.

1 comment:

  1. hahahahaha sounds like you'll have fun at home Ben! my host mom is a sweetie, but no big partiers here. h-dad did buy me two bottles of mokeolli though...

    ReplyDelete