Thursday, July 15, 2010

High Class


So I got to experience the mystery of Korean saunas yesterday, and I have to say it was worth every penny--of 80 cents or so actually, so yes, every penny. I'll start by telling you the saunas here are a truly unique experience: au naturel is a must for all patrons, and they Koreans go all out with opulence, at least here at Jungwon. Everyone has to shower before getting int he pool or tubs, but then you get to choose from a number of spas at different temps and various massage jets. The whole place is decked out in marble, and they've got a number of saunas: yellow mud room, jade room, infrared room, all with their own posited antibiotic, cleansing, or rejuvenating effects. I think one of them is good for a hangover but I'll report back on that one later. Whatever the case, it's pretty liberating just laying around for an hour and letting it all hang out after a workout, even if I am the only westerner in there and stick out like a turd in a punchbowl. I've also got a hilarious story, but I'll refrain from putting on here; but feel free to ask me elsewhere.

On a side note, I discovered the 24 hour kimbap ( 김밥) after B&B last night (B&B is pretty much the only bar in a 50 mile radius of Jungwon, short for "Beer & Bewer," and your guess is as good as mine). With 2,000 won kimbap rolls (like $1.80), I shouldn't go late-night hungry for a while. I'll keep this post short-- we're going to Haeinsa tomorrow for the weekend and I should have some more to talk about by Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment